Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Trip to the ER

THIS:


= THIS:

= $50 co-pay and no sleep

So last week while the girls are picking up the play room before they went to bed Paige informs me that she has stuck a yellow Polly Pocket high heel shoe up her nose. I was so upset. When she was two she stuck a hair rubberband up her nose and it had to be removed by the doctor with a pair of really long tweezers and being held down by Alex, a nurse, and the receptionist. I thought she would have learned her lesson and we have drilled it into her over the last year and she has been so good. She has played with Polly Pocket so much and never done anything. Needless to say I couldn't get it out. It was 8:45 PM at night before the pediatrician called back and told me to take her to the ER. The kicker was that Alex was flying home from a business trip in Canada and wouldn't be home until midnight so I packed all three kids up and headed to the ER. After a 3 hour wait the doctor couldn't see it up there anymore so he took an x-ray to see if something was in her lung and couldn't find anything there either. He thinks she may have coughed it up and swallowed it and would be making its way out the other end in a few days. Emma was so upset because she really wanted the shoe back. Needless to say it is gone and so are the rest of the Polly Pockets in our house. They were always a big mess anyway and now having Chase it is just best to take them away now. They really are an annoying toy anyway. The clothes are really hard for kids to get on and off so when they are playing with them I have to change their outfits a million times and I find pieces of them everywhere in my house. They were cute but no more.

9 comments:

summer k said...

That really stinks, and of course it would happen when alex was out of town!

Brandi said...

I am glad that she is ok. I hate those Polly Pockets they are such a mess. I pick those up all the time and I always find more even after I pick them up.

Mauzy Fam said...

That's crazy! I don't know what it's like to have girl toys yet, but I've heard that they are annoying because they have so many small parts! Glad it turned out okay.

Shiloh McKinnon said...

AMEN! I HATE when Kadence gets those out because I have to dress them over and over and over again.

A said...

Thanks for the advice. There will never be a Polly Pocket for my girls after reading this little horror story!

Shauna said...

Thank goodness Tyler doesn't play with Polly Pocket dolls! Glad everything else worked out.

Melody B. said...

I think it must be aright of passage for a kid to put things up their nose. Hailey did it with a Sweet Pea seed. Then it swelled in the "moist" envirionment and was REALLY far up there so we had to take her to the dr. too to get it out. :( I told her NEVER AGAIN...I must ahve scared her good because she hasn't tried it again. I'm just waiting for the day when Kate realizes that she can put things up there...AND SHE WILL! What is the temptation?:P

P.S. Emma didn't want to "retireve" it when Paige pooped it out? How odd!:P

Scott and Melissa said...

lol.. thats hilarious!! sucks you had to wait that long for nothing!! i hate polly pockets too!! you would think they would make them easier right!

Bryan and Lyndsey said...

Hey Missy!! Remember me? I feel like a high school reunion with everyone that I am finding on the blogs! You guys look so good. Your kids a so cute. You will have to come to my blog and leave a comment sometime.
Lyndsey Ellsworth Mortensen